SEMC Leadership Institute: Leading for Today’s Challenges
The Southeastern Museum Conference (SEMC) offers a professional development program for future museum leaders that supports diversity and inclusion. The inaugural SEMC Leadership Institute: Leading for Today’s Challenges ran as a virtual program November 8 - 16, 2020.
SEMC is proud to partner with the the Association of African American Museums (AAAM) to pilot this new program focused on leadership training for staff of small- and mid-sized institutions.
The SEMC Leadership Institute: Leading for Today’s Challenges aims to equip a new generation of museum leaders with outward-looking skills and strategies that increase their effectiveness as leaders and ability to create a productive and inclusive environment within the museum and among the museum’s board.
The Southeastern Museums Conference Leadership Institute will develop a diverse and inclusive group of future museum leaders who:
• Can identify and build on their existing personal strengths
• Assess how to maximize these strengths internally in an organization and externally as part of a community
• Identify methods to capitalize on their strengths and their environment to move an institution forward
The curriculum, taught by leaders in their fields, covers six areas:
• Reflecting Your Best Self*
• Building Inclusive Cultures
• Strategic Communication and Thinking
• Leadership Challenges
• Adaptive Leadership
• Creating Your Best Self as an Organization
*Using the Reflective Best Self Tool
SEMC Virtual Leadership Institute tuition is $1,500 for SEMC and AAAM members and $1,600 for non-members. Tuition includes Institute resources, and a final workshop for Institute cohorts at the SEMC Annual Meeting. Conference registration for the SEMC Annual Meeting following the Institute will be complimentary for each.
Congratulations to the Leadership Institute Class of 2020!
Special thanks to Banks Creative for Virtual Leadership Institute logo design!