The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) seeks a friendly and detail-oriented individual responsible for the daily operations of KHS’s museum store, The Stewart Home & School 1792 Store. The store is inside the 167,000-square-foot, $30 million Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History. The campus also includes the 1830 Greek Revival Old State Capitol and the Gothic Revival State Arsenal, built in 1850, home of the Kentucky Military History Museum. This position is a unique opportunity to be surrounded by Kentucky’s history in an exciting and ever-changing environment.
For more information about KHS, please visit history.ky.gov.
· Manage the daily operations of the museum store.
o Greeting and assisting customers with purchases
o Organizing and maintaining inventory
o Training staff to work in the shop
· Create and maintain a connection with the public via merchandising.
o Researching and ordering stock to meet customer needs
o Assisting with the development of KHS-branded products for programs and services
· Assist with the overall functioning of the KHS Visitor Services team as needed.
o Assisting with front desk needs
o Working with other members of KHS with programs, services, and special events
For a complete position description, please visit https://history.ky.gov/about/careers.
- EDUCATION: Undergraduate degree preferred in business, management, or related field.
- EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, or SKILLS: Four (4) years of experience in customer service, retail management, communications, or finance will substitute for an undergraduate degree. Two (2) years of experience with a point-of-sale system is desired. Basic internet, word processing, database management, spreadsheets, and email use are required.
- SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: The ability to work with people of varying ages, backgrounds, and ability levels is required. Ability to organize files and manage multiple projects from concept to completion in a timely manner.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to sit or stand for long periods. Must be able to move around the 1792 Museum Store to assist customers, replace store inventory, set up product displays, and straighten shelves. This requires lifting, reaching high and low, and the occasional use of a step ladder. Must be able to maintain consistent movement between KHS campus sites, all within a .25-mile radius in downtown Frankfort, Kentucky.
- WORK SCHEDULE: This is a full-time position of 37.5 hours per week on a Tuesday through Saturday schedule. Must be able to work the occasional evening, Monday, or holiday to provide for the needs of KHS in its programming and services for its museum and special event guests.
- LOCATION: The primary office for this position is located in the Kentucky History Center located in downtown Frankfort, Kentucky. Must be willing to occasionally travel.
Probationary Period: This job has an initial probationary period of six (6) months.
This is a full-time position located in Frankfort, Kentucky, that reports to the Visitor Services Manager. This is an unclassified (non-merit) position pursuant to KRS 18A.115(1)(u). The annual salary for this position is $34,606.80. Benefits include health and life insurance, optional dental and vision insurance, vacation and sick leave, holiday pay, 401(k), and optional deferred compensation plans. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and current resume via email to email@example.com. No telephone calls will be accepted. The deadline for submissions is Monday, April 10, 2023. Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.
The KHS campus has three sites in historic downtown Frankfort: the Old State Capitol; the Kentucky Military History Museum; and the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History serving as KHS headquarters with a signature museum, exhibits, library, research facilities, object & archival collections, museum store, and more. KHS is a Smithsonian Affiliate and has full American Alliance of Museums accreditation.
Questions concerning this job opportunity should be addressed to KHSHR@ky.gov.