Job Title: Assistant Director for Education
The Bechtler Museum of Modern Art seeks an enthusiastic and self-motivated Assistant Director for Education.
The Bechtleris committed to hiring talented individuals who share in the museum’s vision of sharing the joy of modern art to inspire, inform, and enhance cultural and intellectual life. The successful candidate will display a curiosity to learn, a passion for modern art, positive energy, and the ability to work closely with a small team of committed colleagues. Located in Charlotte, North Carolina, the Bechtler is a mid-sized museum with a permanent collection of European and American modern art. This position reports to the Chief of Staff.
The Assistant Director for Education develops, implements, and directs educational programming and outreach for the following audiences: children, youth, and family; adult and university; and community partners. These programs are created in conjunction with exhibitions and the Bechtler’s permanent collection and represent a healthy balance of on-site, in-person and virtual. The ideal candidate has a background in managing multifaceted museum education programs, developing and leading curriculum and training programs, supporting collaboration with community partners and museum volunteers, and demonstrated PK-12 experience.
• Develop, implement and evaluate initiatives, in person and virtual programming and education materials for pre-K-12 students, family programming and adult programs in alignment with the Bechtler’s exhibitions, mission, and strategic goals.
• Manage existing community outreach program and develop and implement new access programming in alignment with the Bechtler’s exhibitions, mission, and strategic goals.
• Develop and deliver public programs for adult and university audiences in conjunction with exhibitions and the Bechtler’s permanent collection.
• Develop innovative and progressive education programs to actively encourage new and diverse audiences.
• Oversee the management, training, and scheduling of the docent volunteer program to ensure that all volunteers are trained, motivated, and appreciated for meaningful work.
• Create and conduct thematic tours in support of the Bechtler’s exhibition and permanent collection.
• Develop and implement teacher training workshops and other educational services.
• Collaborate with marketing on social media and website content and with development on grant proposals.
Characteristics of Successful Candidates
• Demonstrated experience working with diverse audiences.
• Demonstrated knowledge of educational and museum education theory and practice, especially current trends in interactive learning technologies, project-based learning, Visual Thinking Strategies, equity and inclusion, and visitor-centered experiences.
• Experience developing curriculum and participatory experiences for adults and children.
• Demonstrated project management and evaluation experience
• Experience with volunteer recruitment, training, management, and retention.
• Extremely organized, reliable, punctual, accurate, and detail-oriented.
• Education and Work History Requirements:
Bachelor’s Degree in art history, arts education, or related field
Master’s Degree in art history, museum education, or related field
Experience Required: Four (4) – Seven (7) years art museum experience
Salary Range: $65,000-$70,000
To Apply Please send a letter of interest and resume via email to: Hiring Manager Bechtler Museum of Modern Art 420 S. Tryon Street Charlotte, NC 28202 Employment@bechtler.org
P.O. Box 550746 • Atlanta, GA 30355-3246Office: 404 • 814• 2047Fax: 404 • 814 • 2031EMAIL Southeastern Museums Conference
Southeastern Museums Conference is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Copyright © 2021. All Rights Reserved Site by Parsons Marketing Concepts