Harold and Anne Berkley Smith Senior Curator of American and European Art Full Time/Exempt
Director and CEO
October 21, 2022
Reporting to the Director & CEO for performance reviews with a focus on four areas:
· Content: The vision and concepts foregrounding exhibitions.
· Collaboration: Sharing their vision and concepts to form meaningful programs with Learning & Community Engagement (LCE) and develop meaningful messages with Marketing & Communications to ensure Curatorial projects are relevant to the community.
· Cultivation: Engaging with current and future Norton supporters to generate gifts of art, develop collections, attend art fairs, and lead collector groups in addition to continuing to develop the Museum’s collection of art.
· Coordination: Meeting key milestones in exhibition production and following the curatorial workflow and collection-related procedures created in partnership with the Director of Curatorial Operations & Research.
As part of the management of the department, Curators are accountable to the Director of Curatorial Operations & Research (DCO&R) to meet deadlines that ensure curatorial projects remain on schedule. The DCO&R reports to the Director & CEO and represents the Curatorial Department as a member of the Museum’s Senior Staff. The DCO&R is the Curators’ strategic partner, working alongside them, and leading the museum’s registrars and installers to realize visionary, research-driven curatorial projects, and programs.
The Harold and Anne Berkley Smith Senior Curator of American and European Art is responsible for developing a relevant program of innovative, original exhibitions in collaboration with LCE and Marketing & Communications colleagues and taking care of the permanent collection of the Museum.
The Harold and Anne Berkley Smith Senior Curator of American and European Art will demonstrate in-depth knowledge of European art from 1300 – 1945 and American art from the beginnings of European settlement in the Americas to 1945 and be able to propose acquisitions that will enhance the museum’s collection in this area. They will also be critical in introducing those works to the Norton’s Works of Art Committee (WoAC) in their oversight of acquisitions.
The Harold and Anne Berkley Smith Senior Curator of American and European Art will collaborate with the Director & CEO, Chief Development Officer, and colleagues in Development to generate financial support of European and American art through donor visits and grant and foundation applications, as well as develop, expand, and sustain the Friends of American Art (FoAA), one of four collector groups at the Norton that consist of sophisticated collectors and enthusiasts who expect appealing programming that engages the vast and significant group of collectors in this community.
The Harold and Anne Berkley Smith Senior Curator of American and European Art will suggest, create, and conduct engaging programming through personal connections and propose adventurous ideas with LCE and Marketing & Communications colleagues.
The Harold and Anne Berkley Smith Senior Curator of American and European Art will be familiar with requirements and approximate costs to realize exhibitions and be able to complete projects within time and budgets in partnership with the DCO&R.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Head American and European art departments, overseeing the museum’s America and European paintings, sculptures, and works on paper
Exhibitions and Programming:
· Conceive and organize exhibitions based on rigorous research and original ideas (both traveling shows and collection rotations)
For immediate consideration, please send an email with your resume, cover letter and references to: HR@norton.org. No telephone calls please.
The Norton Museum of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer and celebrates a diverse team of talented and dedicated staff, docents, and volunteers.
Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this job description describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply for this role.
The Norton Museum of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
P.O. Box 550746 • Atlanta, GA 30355-3246Office: 404 • 814• 2047Fax: 404 • 814 • 2031EMAIL Southeastern Museums Conference
Southeastern Museums Conference is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Copyright © 2021. All Rights Reserved Site by Parsons Marketing Concepts