Job Title: Special Events Manager
Reports To: Director of Special Events
Basic & Primary Responsibilities of Position — Summary:
The Special Events Manager is responsible for detailing and coordinating the Museum’s private event rentals. The position reports directly to the Director of Special Events and works closely with the Development, Operations, and Curatorial teams to ensure all details of each rental is organized carefully in advance and successfully managed on the day of the event. Examples of private event rentals include weddings, social gatherings, corporate and nonprofit events, galas, etc. The Special Events Manager also serves as support staff for museum fundraising events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Works closely with clients and planners to help plan, execute, and detail their event.
• Conducts tours and schedules meetings as necessary to ensure success.
• Responds to rental inquiries in a timely, effective, and proactive manner.
• Disseminates rental event logistics to necessary staff and ensures schedules and other logistics are coordinated effectively.
• Generates event sheets based on approved client timelines and layouts.
• Demonstrates a strong understanding of the Museum event spaces, operational capabilities, restrictions, and rates, and the ability to explain these elements clearly and concisely to clients and vendors.
• Executes client contracts, receives payments, and properly records them in Altru.
• Manages client deadlines and sends reminders for timelines, event layouts, payments, and insurance needs.
• Manages and schedules on-site Event Hosts and serves as an Event Host for rentals. • Oversees the training and staffing of Event Hosts.
• Works closely with preferred catering and bar service providers, event planners, and other vendors to ensure all museum rules and regulations are followed.
• Works with Director of Operations to ensure cleanliness and readiness of facility prior to each rental event and after the rental event is over.
• Manages the Gibbes Museum Events Instagram account with duties including but not limited to, scheduling timely and creative content, producing Reels and Stories, and increasing engagement and visibility.
• Works with Creative Director to produce bi-annual Private Event Brochure and successfully sells ad space within the brochure.
• Ensures that all photography and videography is obtained in a timely manner after each rental event and properly uploaded and organized in Dropbox.
• Maintains and grows relationships with the Charleston Visitor Bureau, local hotel event venues, and museums who offer event rentals in neighboring states.
• Attends Explore Charleston and CVB meetings and networking events. 2
• Assists Director of Special Events with the planning of Art Charleston, the Gibbes’ week-long fundraising event.
• Assists Director of Special Events with meetings and events of the Gibbes’ auxiliary groups - Women’s Council and Society 1858.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Minimum of 3 years in event management, hospitality, sales, or comparable experience required.
• Experience with venue management and room design software preferred.
• Strong portfolio of past event designs and event activations is preferred. • Must have partial weekend and evening availability.
Must pass a background check prior to employment. Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Highly organized with diligent attention to detail.
• Demonstrates a customer-service mentality and supports and sustains positive client and vendor rapport.
• Excellent people-management skills coupled with successful communication skills.
• Maintains a can-do attitude and willingness to provide staff support in other departments.
• Familiarity with audio/visual equipment and technical services.
• Competent in Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and Adobe.
• Strong ability to work strategically and effectively in a team setting.
• Ability to work from a PC versus a MAC.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a variety of people.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment managing multiple projects with shifting deadlines.
Compensation: • Salary: $40,000 - $50,000 per year
• Generous paid time off
• 15 paid holidays • 401 (K) matching
• Paid health, dental, and vision insurance
• Paid parking Position:
Full-time, Exempt Please provide the following as part of your application:
• Cover letter detailing your interest in the Gibbes Museum and your qualifications (PDF)
• Resume including education and experience (PDF) Send application by email to: email@example.com
The Gibbes Museum of Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
Location: 135 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401
P.O. Box 550746 • Atlanta, GA 30355-3246Office: 404 • 814• 2047Fax: 404 • 814 • 2031EMAIL Southeastern Museums Conference
Southeastern Museums Conference is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Copyright © 2021. All Rights Reserved Site by Parsons Marketing Concepts