The Museum of the Southern Jewish Experience is hiring a Curator who will be responsible for the care and organization of its growing collection, the development of special exhibitions, and the maintenance of its core exhibitions. As part of a small, but dedicated staff, the person in this position will have the opportunity to help advance the Museum’s mission and make it a vital part of the community and the region.
• Manage the Museum’s 4,000-piece permanent collection, including the ongoing cataloguing and organization of the collection and database management.
• Oversee all aspects of the care of the permanent collections, including handling, use and access, security, conservation, and environmental monitoring.
• Identify possible acquisitions for the permanent collection and shepherd the acquisition process, from solicitation to accessioning.
• Work collaboratively with the executive director and staff to support the mission of MSJE and make accessible the permanent collection to the public.
• Develop a two- to three-year curatorial calendar for the Museum and direct the implementation of the calendar, from concept development and community focus groups to installation.
• Work with staff, as well as freelancers and consultants, to direct the design, fabrication, and installation of temporary exhibitions, traveling exhibitions, and digital exhibitions.
• Direct the maintenance and upkeep of the permanent and temporary exhibitions, including coordinating maintenance and repair as needed for both physical and digital exhibitions.
• Assist the Museum Executive Director in the development of fiscal year budgets for curatorial and collection initiatives and needs.
• Participate in conferences and workshops related to humanities and Southern Jewish scholarship.
• Develop relationships with cultural organizations and local community groups to engage diverse communities with the Museum’s resources in collaborative and meaningful ways.
• Contribute to ongoing efforts in Diversity, Equity, Accessibility and Inclusion throughout MSJE’s collections, exhibitions, and programming.
• Bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred) in museum studies, history, or related field and at least three years’ experience working in a museum or cultural institution in a curatorial capacity.
• Strong knowledge of Jewish culture, Southern culture, and the available resources for exploring both.
• Demonstrated experience designing and curating public exhibitions.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including working with a range of backgrounds to develop artifact donor relations and audiences.
• Strong research, writing, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Experience with content management systems (CMS), especially Past Perfect, strongly preferred.
• Must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
• Willingness and ability to travel occasionally in support of the Museum’s collecting efforts.
Compensation: Salary range $50,000-$65,000. This is a full-time position with benefits package.
Application Instructions: Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Curator Search. The search process will continue until the position is filled
P.O. Box 550746 • Atlanta, GA 30355-3246Office: 404 • 814• 2047Fax: 404 • 814 • 2031EMAIL Southeastern Museums Conference
Southeastern Museums Conference is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Copyright © 2021. All Rights Reserved Site by Parsons Marketing Concepts